Friday, May 25, 2007

Paris in NYC

The other night I attending one of the most French nights I've had in NYC in a long time. I attended a closing party at Point of View Gallery host by the almost stereotypically French Amelie Sourget, a young, well-to-do socialite who never missed an opportunity to be welcoming, charming and just plain fun to her many guest. My writing partner Andy Parsegian is a great friend of hers, and made sure to pass on the invitation to me.

After many glasses of wine, Andy and I went to Tout Va Bien, a great bistro in midtown. If you want to hear someone speak fluent French followed by a broad Brooklyn-Queens accent, make sure to chat with the owner's son, the Bistro's very capable and warm host. I even got a extra brownie points by recognizing Stravinsky's picture on the Wall of Fame. The owner said he use to drop by on a regular basis when he pass through the Big Apple.

A couple from the gallery accompanied us on our bistro trip, and as luck would have it, the young man was a wine seller. Make sure to check out Circus and Micheal Lynch at your local wine store. Fantastic wine for almost nothing!

With all the anti-French sentiment in the US right now, I hope that people don't forget that when it comes to living well and valuing the simple pleasures of life (friends, food, romance, etc) the French still seem to consistently deliver. Thank God I live in a town that has a little piece of almost every part the world in it's back yard.

No comments: